Wedding Jitters

A few glasses of wine, lunch, and a coffee later, Angie, Mariola, and I sat outside of Peet's coffee shop on L street in Sacramento soaking in the weather and doing one of the exercises that Mariola learned from her course.  The conversation was regarding Angela's upcoming move to Poland to be with her fiance.  The exercise drew out the excitement, love, uncertainty, and many many other emotions and thoughts that Angela has over moving to Poland.  This exercise reminded me of my own anxiety before our wedding and the uncertainty that I experienced before tying the knot.

If there is such a thing as being experienced in making the commitment to share one's life with another person, looking back, what are the questions that I would ask myself that would matter and would help me determine whether I am making the correct decision?  There are a lot of great questions such as "are we going to be compatible?", "what does our future look like?", "do we have the same values?", and "is he or she the one for me?"  These are questions that may or may not be answerable but what is worse is that having answers to these questions won't resolve our fear of uncertainty...

If I was to advise my younger self at the juncture of contemplating marriage, I would say to my younger self "Choosing the love your life is easy, you just have to follow your heart.  Loving the love of your life for a life time is the art that you have to master and the challenge that you have to concur because you will have to learn to always listen to your heart and only your heart..."

No comments: