Someday, Somewhere, Someone Else

When I was a little girl, I always wanted to read the next Arsene Lupin story now, I always want to be at the park to play ‘baseball’ with the neighbors now, and I always want to take that test in school now so I can start playing again. The adults were the ones that always wanted me to wait, to think things through, to get more information. Now that I am an adult, I can’t get pass myself to do the things that bring joy to my life, I always need more information, more motivation, more time, and more support…

The commitments that I made to myself have become a “someday, somewhere, someone else” phenomenon. I will watch Miss Saigon again someday, I will contribute to others in Africa but not to the people around me, and I will protest the system if someone else does it first. Most of us live our lives as if “someday, somewhere, someone else” does exist and we put our dreams and commitments on hold for it. We all know that life is unpredictable and anything could happen with little or no advanced warning, so what if there isn’t another day? We all know that the spatial constraints can be transcended with the current technology, so what if there’s no other place but here? What if that someone that we are hanging our hopes and dreams on is also waiting for someone else or maybe waiting for us? Are we going to wait for an eternity for one another to act? However, waiting for some other time that’s better than this moment, waiting for a place that’s better than here, and waiting for another person to lead us to our dreams seem so logical and adulthood...

Children are so much more fun, exciting, and easy to watch, to be with, and to love. They capture our time, attention, and our hearts because they don’t have the ‘patience’ and ‘excuses’. Children make things happen while we adults wait for things to happen to us. It seems to me that we can live an exciting and fulfilled life if we are willing to stop practicing the “someday, somewhere, someone else” phenomenon that we have created for ourselves as adults. I am going to start practicing having it now, doing it here, and it’s my responsibility. Call me out on it if I am waiting for that "someday, somewhere, someone else" - you’ll be helping me realizing my dreams!

No comments: