Purpose in Life

I was so heart broken when the War in Gaza killed innocent Palestinians living in the region and no one seemed to care. I was not upset because of the failure of politics or policies but I was so sad that with the number of people dying that rose by the day, no one seemed to care and no one seemed to notice... The death toll is now almost half of what it was for 9/11 but I still don't hear people talking about it... I asked myself: "How can we as a community let this happen?" "How can we not ask questions?" and "how can we not care?" I asked myself so many unanswerable questions and I was sad and resigned. Then, I asked myself this "Is this community deserving of my contribution? Why am I the only one?" I was ready to give up... And then, Dave sat down with me and shared a few things with me, what he said can be summarized by this quote by Andrew Harvey, "If you're really listening. If you're awake to the poignant beauty of the world, your heart breaks regularly. In fact, your heart is made to break, it's purpose is to burst open again and again so that it can hold evermore wonder."

It is easy to give up our commitment for reasons and logic, it is easy to pass on the responsibilities to someone else to step up or speak up, and it is very easy to live small, love small, and play safe. However, being resigned and cynical to the point that we lose our true selves and our commitment because of our fear of failure is no way to be truly happy... If we can fill our lives with commitments that are larger than us, we'll live a fulfilled and purposeful live.

As Martin Luther King said "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live. I am committed to make this an equal world for all. I will speak out for those that don't have a voice, remind the policy makers that there are people watching, I will lend a hand to those in need. From now on, I am ready to have my heart broken over and over again for the cause that I will never fulfill in my life time...

No comments: