Memories for Sale

On Valentine's Day morning, Jim drove us to Mill Valley for our first horseback riding at the Five Brooks Stables. The drive to Marin was about an hour and the scenic route through Marin to the stables took us another forty minutes. The windy country roads on a drizzly Saturday morning did not seem like the perfect Valentine's Day present... "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" I kept asking and it was the same answer over and over again. I thought to myself, maybe some flowers, chocolate, and candle light dinner were better gifts, but this was what I always wanted to do so Jim made the arrangement...

Miraculously the weather cleared up before we got to the stables. It stopped drizzling for the most part and the horse owners were waiting for us along with the horses. Jim got a big horse, Sampson, and I got a smaller horse, Danny. Our guide was in a long duster jacket that was muddy and stiff. The jacket and his mannerism almost made him a cowboy except that he works in the woods in California, not Texas.

Our guide gave us a few sentences of instructions on horse-back riding and led us in the woods. I was surprised at how easy it looked to ride horses in movies and how scary it actually is... The horses walked and trotted as we held on to the saddles and our lives... The ride was approximately two hours and my concentration and adrenaline rush exhausted every bit of my energy by the time we completed the ride. This was our first time riding and riding together. The experience was fun, scary, adventurous, exciting, and amazing at the same time. This is the only Valentine's Day present that I haven't forgotten and will not forget... Next Valentine's Day, we will be looking for memories that are for sale!

No comments: