Leaders

I am the kind of gal that will take over a task, a conversation, a job if given the opportunity. I do this so that things are done more efficiently and effectively, and to make sure conversations continue on with more clarity and achieve their goals... At least these are my intentions and what I perceive to be the "right" way to accomplish the task and/or conversation at that moment... Many might think that achieving effectiveness and efficiencies are leadership qualities but what I realized is that leaders are not leading because of their leadership "qualities" but the "followers" lending their support to the leaders...

When I was assigned to assist in the landmark seminar's set-up team, I thought the job was pretty simple. All we need to do was follow instructions, set-up the sound system, tally the head count, distribute the seminar material. Easy enough, problem solved. I can master tasks like these with my eyes closed. I thought.....

During the seminar, there were a few opportunities that we could have distributed the handouts with the seminar leader's instruction. But since we were running out of time, I asked the manager of the seminar volunteers, "can you request that the seminar leader announce the distribution of these handouts?" (Hey, I want to be efficient and effective so I got to keep asking right? Besides, that was the right thing to do - I told myself) The second time when I asked the same question, the manager gave me a profound answer, he said: "Tim (the seminar leader) has a lot on his mind right now and he needs to get through what he needs to get through. We don't want to interrupt him right now, otherwise he will lose his train of thought. If we have to do it when people are walking out the door, we'll just do that". I replied, "ok" but I was screaming inside... "WHAT??? It's not effective or efficient that way!!! It will only take Tim 3 seconds to announce and take us 30 seconds to distribute then our problem will be solved!!!" We ended up not interrupting the leader which means we spent additional 10 to 20 minutes handing out the course material as people were walking out of the room..... (See, I was right, I thought to myself)

On my drive home, I just couldn't get it... why not do it the more efficient and effective way? why not do it MY way? I am right! See, 33 seconds turned into 20 minutes... Suddenly, one of Tim's acknowledgment popped into my head! Tim always thank us for letting him be the leader, giving him the life that he loves to live in, and he always end the conversation by saying that he loves us because of our generosity. (whenever he says that, I've always just listened but I have never heard what he's really saying) While I was getting ready to exit Sunrise Blvd, I realized that Tim was right!!! Leaders are who they are because the "followers" or "supporters" are willing to give up their "right" and let leaders BE leaders. No matter how great the leader is, if each one of the supporters keep insisting that they are right and their ways are better, there will not be a leader. It will just be a bunch of people arguing about what is right or wrong. However, if people are willing to give up their differences and honor one person, then a leader is born...

So leaders, please remember that you are leading because others are honoring you. The supporters gave up their "right" and stop making you "wrong" so you can be who you are in your community, job, and family. Without the followers, leaders will not exist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Anny

this is an interesting perspective, certainly opening my eyes to leadership!

I know you have been trying to reach me, sorry for not being able to talk to you during the past few days, was going through some turmoil (at least I thought I was!... haha..so many stories and meaning attached to exchanged words.)

I hope ILP is going well for you, or less painful, am still scared to even try, just on the thought that I am going to quit probably after a session, i feel lack of commitment in something that bloody hard... :D

Love
Gina