House (Rental) Hunting

The newbies at work (including me) talk about housing a lot.  Whenever we meet someone new, we use the opportunity to find out their housing situation.  Where do you live? How convenient is your neighborhood?  How's the traffic in your area and are there any alternative transportation such as the MRT?  And the most personal, how much is your rent and your electricity bill?  The people that meet the newbies ask similar questions too.  Where did you come from? What brings you to Manila? Where are you planning to live? Do you have kids, family, or a car? The old birds will always provide forceful suggestions too.  You have to get a car if you want to live in that neighborhood.

House / rental hunting hasn't been easy.  The condition of the places has ranged from over the top to outright scary with the kitchen ceiling being someone else's illegal patio floor.  The prices of the properties have been all over the place too, a 120 square meter house for $800 to 50 square meters for the exact same amount.  Of course it's the neighborhood but the range has been so far apart, it's impossible to choose.  Are they quoting me this price because I am a foreigner or are they quoting me this price because of the location?  It must be both but what is my foreigner premium?  And is there room for negotiating my foreigner premium since I am an "Asian" foreigner?

"Miss, I don't have any furniture so I need a furnished apartment"  I said.  "Oh, it's ok, I will show you the unit and take you furniture shopping."  I stopped insisting since I am not going to rent from this landlord anyway. "Madame, most furnished apartments provide a washer and dryer, are you planning to put one in?"  I asked.  "There's a laundromat here in the mall downstairs."  I stopped there so I don't start a negotiation process with the landlady.  "Mr. are you going to provide a TV, a desk, and washer and dryer?" I had my hopes up for this modern but small unit.  "I can provide the washer and dryer" he hesitated.  "You know, this place was designed by a designer and I spent a lot of money and you'll be the first one to live here, if you choose to.  You are very lucky."   After we walked out of the property, the real estate agent told me that the owner has overspent on his unit and his high asking price is firm. So the search continues...

I don't know how long it will be before I give up the search and just stay at my beautiful yet expensive service apartment.    The rent is $4,000 a month and the company split it with me.  It's modern, clean, with breakfast, parking, and cleaning services provided.  There is a lap pool with under water music, a nice size gym, it's 3 minutes walk from the office and it's in a quiet, safe, and convenient neighborhood.  I know I have to move out for my psyche, but do I really?  House hunting in Manila is a challenging adventure and meeting the investors / owners are definitely an interesting experience!

2 comments:

danielle said...

frustrating and scary and interesting all at the same time! i can't wait to hear about where you end up!

AC said...

I KNOW... I will let you know one I find it! x my fingers!