Gardening for Dummies

I must admit that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to gardening. Maybe I should get a gardening for dummies book? I don't know much about growing vegetables or fruits but I am excited when I see the progress of the seeds and plants. Some "gardening" questions that I have are pretty "basic" and probably "borderline" ridiculous but the overall gardening experience have been exciting and I am having a lot of fun! I must be going crazy! First, I start to enjoy Sacramento more than I "should", now, I am starting to enjoy gardening!

It all started with a conversation with a colleague about their garden, the more we talked about the type of fruit and vegetables that they harvested, the more hungry I become to have our own vegetable farm! Yes, "farm" is the ambition but "planters" are my reality... We have had herbs here and there for the past year and we also have some fruit trees that we never pruned or maintained. Three years after we moved into our home, our neighbors knocked on our door to make sure that it was ok with us that they picked the apricots off of our tree. I thought to myself, "What apricot? Isn't that a cherryless cherry tree?". Then, Jim discovered that we have a pomegranate tree and some sort of citrus tree in our backyard. However, since the "discovery", the fruit trees never produced fruits again. Hopefully we'll get really lucky this year without having applied the proper gardening technique.Maybe it was the conversations or it could be the inspiration from going to the farmers' market every Saturday, but I just crave to have my own vegetables! Knowing that there are no chemicals used, just the hot Sacramento sun and precious mountain water gives me reason to smile. I talk to friends about their chives, lettuce, berries, and tomatoes and I find these topics interesting and absolutely delicious! Just imagine cutting up a tomato from your garden, putting olive oil and sea salt over it, then topping it off with your home grown basil. How delicious will that be?

Towards the end of the day, I find myself thinking about the tomatoes, the basil and the seeds that I planted over the weekend. Seriously, I really don't know what's happening to me but I am loving my garden in the planters! When I have my first "garden" salad, I will let you know how tasty a garden salad can be!

No comments: