Commitment

It is hard to keep a commitment. Commitments can be big and it can be small but they are all difficult to keep. Commitments can be as small as being on time, meeting due dates, eating healthy, exercising or it can be as big as achieving a career goal, supporting a friend or family, to committing to a person or a relationship.

These promises are hard to keep because we are used to not keeping our words. We procrastinate and justify our actions, we apologize when we don't REALLY mean it, and friends and family around us let us off the hook by not holding us accountable. Slowly but surely, our words lose value to others, to ourselves, then our confidence in ourselves begins to erode, and so we give this 'disease' a fancy name - commitment phobia.

It is very easy to not keep our words and find excuses to get out of these simple commitments. However, the consequence of this simple action is tremendous and sometimes daunting. To restore confidence in myself, I am striving to keep all of my words. If I don't keep my word, please don't let it slide without letting me know how it impacted you and others so that I can be held responsible for not just my actions, but my words.

No comments: