Domesticating Me


I know how difficult it is to move to a new place, not knowing anyone (or knowing just a few people), and not have a definite return date back to 'home'.  I know the sadness of missing loved ones (including cats) can negate the excitement of moving to a new place.  I know the annoyance of not having everything work the same way as it is back home can ruin the opportunity to experience an exotic culture.  I know the confusion of a different language and local customs can relinquish the desire to learn and the capacity to feel secure.  However, I also know that the sadness, frustration, and confusion will persist until the choice is made to embrace a different lifestyle.  Therefore, I have been trying to localize or 'domesticate' myself quickly, so desperately, it is so comical, even to me!!!

Instead of shopping for clothes, souvenirs, and going to fancy ethnic restaurants, I went to the mall for nail clippers, facial cleanser, and tooth paste.  To be sure that I am localized, I asked to join the Mega Advantage card to collect points.  I don't even do this in the States but to feel like a local, I had to.  I went to a modern Filipino cuisine restaurant, Mesa, and ordered what sounded authentic - Palabok.  Grilled fish on top, etc.  As it turned out, the dish was quite seafood-ish.  Now, I finally understand the reason that Racel doesn't like fish!  I also ordered green mango juice without syrup, and that was a mistake also!  As I observed the patrons of the restaurant (for next time), they ordered a fried fish that is beautifully presented, a porcelain pot with some kind of soup in it, and succulent pork dish...  So my fishy noodles and sour mango juice - What do I do?  Well, chili and vinegar went well with the fishy noodles and the sour mango juice washed down the spicy fishy noodles without a problem...  That was an interesting lunch experience but I can't stop here.  To be a true local, I had to have a local cell phone.  However, without an address, cell phones, credit cards, and Mega Advantage cards are all out of reach.  To domesticate myself, I used the hotel address even though I am not staying for long.  Hopefully, the bills and point statements will arrive at the right place.

As soon as I walked out of the mall with my essentials, cell phone, and Mega Advantage card, the rain started picking up...  But guess what, this time, I am carrying an umbrella during the rainy season, just like the locals!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

good luck domesticating yourself!!

AC said...

Thank you!!! The store asked for my Advantage card today, I was so excited!!!! :-D