Being Grateful

There are a lot of things to be unhappy about in this market and in this world right now. If we desire, there are a lot of good reasons and logical circumstances can prove that we should be dissatisfied with our lives. From personal finances to global economic recession, the seemingly forever shrinking 401k, the outrageous AIG executive compensation, and wars and political insanity of the Middle East, Africa, and USA. Everywhere we look, there are reasons and circumstances to drag us down... However, it is in this economy and in this difficult time that made me see how lucky I am to be where I am, to have what I have, and appreciate everything that I have always taken for granted...

It has been many many months since I last saw Rob after his retirement. Since then, the market crashed and the economy tanked. However, seeing an old friend and being reminded that I have a community that supports me and tolerates my never ending harassment and questions make me appreciate all of my friends' love, patience, and support.

The evaporation of personal wealth was extremely discouraging when Jim and I looked at our accounts, 401ks, and total assets. However, there are so many people that are being foreclosed on that have to leave their homes and some even become homeless due to the housing downturn. Knowing that there are so many people that are suffering in this economy made me realize what we have. I am thankful for the lifestyle that we can still afford and the choices that we made to live within our means.

The global recession and financial meltdown made me see that the material possessions that I accumulated are not the drivers of my happiness. It's the choice that I made to see how blessed I am that give me the satisfaction in life... Being grateful as the pathway to happiness is the greatest gain that I obtained from this financial and economic downturn.

No comments: