Island Excursion, Heat Exhaustion

We wake at dawn and eat at dusk.  Doesn’t matter the time, it has been our routine since we got to Koh Samed.  Call it a “rut” if you will.  That’s what Mike always says, “You are in a freaking rut”.  We wake up early to dip in the sea, shower, and enjoy our breakfast.  After that, we read, I write, we drink, and we nap.  We don’t leave our room until it’s later in the afternoon for either a massage or for more drinks, then it will be dinner - served by the ocean.  In my defense, on this beautiful island, I call it a ritual not a rut.

To break the routine, we decided that we’ll go explore the rest of Koh Samed like we planned to do when we first arrived. The relaxing life at Lima Coco has made it hard to have the incentive to go anywhere.  Keeping our word, we called for a “taxi” to go to the east side of the island after breakfast.  The road was not paved; it was bumpy and filled with big, deep, and unforgiving pot holes.  They definitely need a Jeep on this island, this road is the only reason why a Jeep should be driven.

Our island excursion started out fine with the 200 baht taxi ride.  Although the road was bumpy, the taxi driver spoke sufficient English where he directed us to different places.  He dropped us at a tourism center that was a short distance from an east coast Koh Samed beach, a street where we could shop with farlung pricing, and a road to the other resort that’s owned by Angela’s friend.  We were set, and the taxi driver was going to pick us up in 4 hours.  Jim wanted 3 hours and I wanted 4, unfortunately, I got my way…  We checked out the crowded beach where all the younger tourists go (our beach had a lot more families whereas this one was an obvious single and farlung filled party beach) I shopped for clothing and accessories, and we checked out Lima Bella that’s on east side of the island.  By this time, all of my ambition to learn more about the east coast of Samed was all gone.  Sweat was not dripping down my face, but it was pouring from everywhere.  Jim and I had to visit the 7-11 twice to cool down, an ice cream and ice tea later, still didn’t solve our problems.  When we arrived Lima Bella on foot through more dirt roads, we didn’t look very “bella” at all.  The staff on the resort laughed at us in Thai.  Yes, we looked that pathetic while they were working in their black long-sleeved shirts.

Thank God that they were serving buy 1 get 1 free Barcardi breezers by the infinity pool.  The vast difference in living conditions between the town and resort was our saving graces.  Splashing water all over my face, sitting in front of a fan, downing several not so breezy Bacardi breezers, and rubbing ice everywhere (including my head) were not taking the heat away at all.  I think this is my first heat exhaustion on the trip.  Seriously, who’s idea was it to leave the comfort of our resort for this excursion?  Oh, it was mine…  I was so hot, dizzy, and sweaty that I had to take a taxi back to Lima Coco without finishing my breezer, playing with the long leg Thai cat, or Jim…

In the comfort of our air-conditioned bungalow, I decided that tomorrow, I will honor our ritual instead…  

3 comments:

danielle said...

be careful! drink lots of water!

AC said...

several coconuts later, I am ready to write and play again!

danielle said...

good that you've found your mojo!