Faces of Men

Sausage talker - have you ever heard of this phrase? This is a phrase that Jim inherited from the JK family, both figuratively and literally. The phrase describes a person that talks nonsense. Not just nonsense but having ridiculous claims that are alien to normal human beings. Jim and I practice sausage talk on each other quite often. In addition to sausage talks, we also talk about the serious topics such as politics, business, and public policies. Between talking like a sausage and the serious conversations, we also talk about what every couple talk about - relationships, friendships, you name it…

There are a lot of people in my life that only know one side of me because of the type of conversations that we have. The conversations change depending on the people that I am with and circumstances in which we find ourselves. Therefore, peoples' perception of me differ dramatically. The friends that I drink with and friends that I share my blogs with know different things about me. The friends that I party with and the friends that I discuss the financial market with will probably think you are talking about a different person when you have these friends describe me. This is not unique to my friends or colleagues, this probably applies to almost everyone. So who am I really? Or who are they befriending with, really? I venture to say (another sausage talk topic) that it is how you want to be perceived that become who you are to your family, friends, and colleagues.

Everyone of us has different sides that we share with different people. What we choose to share determines who we are for others. So do we ever really know someone or do we only know what they want us to know about themselves? The faces of men are so complicated that any judgments, evaluations, and assessments are very likely to be inaccurate - so why do we pretend that we know others when we can so easily alter our own images to other through our conversation?

2 comments:

danielle said...

you bring up MANY excellent points. one of my "favorite" friends is someone who i don't see often, but i always say that i like him because he sees me the way i see myself, which doesn't happen often.

thank you for sharing your blog and love the new layout!

AC said...

I find it so facinating that people see me so differently then the way I see myself... the good news is that we can almost be whoever we want to be if others have an open mind that are not tied to our past...

thank you for reading!